Publications by Dr. Rainer F. Hauser
Computer Science Research
- "Localization of Information on Finite Random Functions",
IBM Research Technical Report RZ 1170, September 1982,
PDF-File: RZ1170.pdf (Size: 7.3 MB).
- "Some Experiments with Stochastic Edge Detection",
IBM Research Technical Report RZ 1210, February 1983,
PDF-File: RZ1210.pdf (Size: 5.4 MB).
- "Bestimmung des lokalen Informationsgehaltes endlicher Familien von diskreten Zufallsvariablen angewandt auf das Problem der Konturerkennung in digitalen Bildern",
Zürich, No. 7468, 1984,
in ETH E-Collection,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.3929/ethz-a-000320225.
- "A Stochastic Approach to Edge Detection",
Proc. 7th Int. Conference on Pattern Recognition, Montreal, Canada, July 30 - August 2, 1984 (IEEE Computer Society Press, 1984), pp. 52-54.
- "Timers in OSI Protocols - Specification versus Implementation",
E. Mumprecht, D. Gantenbein and R. Hauser,
Proc. 1988 Int. Zurich Seminar on Digital Communications, edited by B. Plattner and P. Günzburger (IEEE, Picataway, 1988),
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/DIGCOM.1988.4690.
- "Implementation of the OSI Transport Service in a Heterogeneous Environment",
D. Gantenbein, R. Hauser and E. Mumprecht,
in HECTOR, edited by G. Krüger and G. Müller (Springer, Berlin, 1988), Vol. II, pp. 215-241,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1007/978-3-642-73574-5_14.
"An Environment for Interactive Design of Communications Architectures",
A.A.R. Cockburn, W. Citrin, R.F. Hauser and J. von Känel,
Proc. IFIP Symposium on Protocol Specification, Testing and Verification, X, Ottawa, Canada, June 13 - 15, 1990, edited by L. Logrippo, R.L. Probert and H. Ural (IFIP 1990), pp. 115-127.
- "REXXIUCV: VM REXX Programming Support for IUCV",
Proc. SHARE 75, 35th Anniversary Meeting, New Orleans, LA, August 12 - 17, 1990, pp.1-8,
PDF-File: ShareMeeting90.pdf (Size: 60 KB).
in The REXX Handbook,
edited by G. Goldberg and Ph.H. Smith III (McGraw-Hill, New York,
1992), J. Ranade IBM Series, Chapter 32, pp. 389-403,
- "Communications and Event Handling with REXX",
Proc. REXX Symposium for Developers and Users, Annapolis, MD, May 3 - 5, 1992, pp. 100-116,
PDF-File: RexxSymposium92.pdf (Size: 70 KB).
- "TCP/IP and REXX Programming with REXX/SOCKETS",
A.J. Ecock and R.F. Hauser,
Proc. SHARE, San Francisco, CA, February 28 - March 5, 1993, pp. 293-300,
PDF-File: ShareMeeting93.pdf (Size: 90 KB).
- "Using Formalized Temporal Message-flow Diagrams",
W. Citrin, A. Cockburn, J. von Känel and R. Hauser,
Software-Practice and Experience 25(12), December 1995, pp. 1367-1401,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1002/spe.4380251205.
- "On Autonomic Computing Architectures",
J. Koehler, C. Giblin, D. Gantenbein and R. Hauser,
IBM Research Technical Report RZ 3487, January 2003.
- "A Web Services Matchmaking Engine for Web Services",
C. Facciorusso, S. Field, R. Hauser, Y. Hoffner, R. Humbel, R. Pawlitzek, W. Rjaibi and C. Siminitz,
Proc. 4th Int. Conference, EC-Web 2003, Prague, Czech Republic, September 2003, LNCS 2738, pp. 37-49,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1007/b11826.
- "A Model-Driven Transformation Method",
J. Koehler, R. Hauser, S. Kapoor, F.Y. Wu and S. Kumaran,
Proc. 7th IEEE Int. Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (EDOC'03), September 16 - 19, 2003, Brisbane, Australia, pp. 186-197,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/EDOC.2003.1233848.
- "A review of OMG MOF 2.0 Query / Views / Transformations Submissions and Recommendations towards the final Standard",
T. Gardner, C. Griffin, J. Koehler and R. Hauser,
Proc. 1st Int. Workshop on MetaModelling for MDA, York, UK, November 24 - 25, 2003, pp. 178-197,
- "Compiling Process Graphs into Executable Code",
R. Hauser and J. Koehler,
Proc. 3rd Int. Conference on Generative Programming and Component Engineering (GPCE'04), October 24 - 28, 2004, Vancouver, Canada, LNCS 3286, pp. 317-336,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1007/b101929,
PDF-File: GPCE04_Hauser_et_al.pdf (Grösse: 200 KB).
- "Untangling Unstructured Cyclic Flows - A Solution based on Continuations",
J. Koehler and R. Hauser,
Proc. On the Move to Meaningful Internet Systems 2004: CoopIS, DOA, and ODBASE: OTM Confederated Int. Conferences, CoopIS, DOA, and ODBASE 2004, October 25 - 29, 2004, Agia Napa, Cyprus, LNCS 3290, pp. 121-138,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1007/b102173.
- "Declarative Techniques for Model-Driven Business Process Integration",
J. Koehler, R. Hauser, S. Sendall and M. Wahler,
IBM Systems Journal 44(1), 2005, pp. 47-65,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1147/sj.441.0047.
- "Transforming Business Process Models: Enabling Programming at a Higher Level",
W. Zhao, B.R. Bryant, F. Cao, K. Bhattacharya and R. Hauser,
Proc. of IEEE Int. Conference on Services Computing (SCC'05), July 11 - 15, 2005, Orlando, Florida, USA, pp. 173-180,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/SCC.2005.102.
- "A Systematic Approach to Designing Model Transformations",
J. Küster, K. Ryndina and R. Hauser,
IBM Research Technical Report RZ 3621, July 2005.
- "Transforming Unstructured Cycles to Structured Cycles in Sequential Flow Graphs",
IBM Research Technical Report RZ 3624, August 2005,
PDF-File: RZ3624.pdf (Size: 637 KB).
- "Methodology and Tooling to combine an existing legacy business process model with best-practice industry reference models for Business Transformation",
J. Küster, J. Koehler, R. Hauser, K. Ryndina, J. Vanhatalo and M. Wahler,
IBM Research Technical Report RZ 3663, September 2005.
- "Compiling Business Processes: Untangling Unstructured Loops in Irreducible Flow Graphs",
W. Zhao, R. Hauser, K. Bhattacharya, B.R. Bryant and F. Cao,
Int. J. Web and Grid Services 2(1), 2006, pp. 68-91,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1504/IJWGS.2006.008880.
- "The Role of Visual Modeling and Model Transformation in Business-driven Development",
J. Koehler, R. Hauser, J. Küster, K. Ryndina, J. Vanhatalo and M. Wahler,
Proc. 5th Int. Workshop on Graph Transformation and Visual Modeling Techniques (GT-VMT'06), April 1 - 2, 2006, Vienna, Austria,
ENTCS 211, April 2008, pp. 5-15,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1016/j.entcs.2008.04.025.
- "Aligning Business Processes with Enterprise Service Computing Infrastructure",
W. Zhao, J.J. Jeng, L. An, F. Cao, B.R. Bryant, R. Hauser and T. Tao,
Service Computing: From Concept to Development, edited
by Robin G. Qiu (Idea Group Inc., Hershey, PA,
2006), Chapter 2, pp. 25-57,
ISBN: 1-59904-180-4 (hardcover), 1-59904-181-2 (softcover).
- "Combining Analysis of Unstructured Workflows with Transformation to Structured Workflows",
R. Hauser, M. Friess, J. Küster and J. Vanhatalo,
Proc. 10th IEEE Int. Enterprise Distributed Object Computing Conference (EDOC'06), October 16 - 20, 2006, Hong Kong, China, pp. 129-140,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/EDOC.2006.21,
PDF-File: EDOC06_Hauser_et_al.pdf (Grösse: 300 KB).
- "Transforming Business Process Models in the Presence of Irreducibility and Concurrency",
W. Zhao, B.R. Bryant, F. Cao, R. Hauser, K. Bhattacharya and T. Tao,
Int. J. Business Process Integration and Management 2(1), 2007, pp. 37-48,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1504/IJBPIM.2007.014103.
- "An Incremental Approach to the Analysis and Transformation of Workflows using Region Trees",
R. Hauser, M. Friess, J. Küster and J. Vanhatalo,
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics - Part C 38(3), May 2008,
(Earlier version: IBM Research Technical Report RZ 3693, June 2007),
Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TSMCC.2008.919178,
PDF-File: 38TSMCC03_Hauser_et_al.pdf (Grösse: 400 KB).
- "Analysis and Transformation of Behavioral Models Containing Overlapped Patterns",
Journal of Object Technology 9(3), May-June 2010, pp. 105-124,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.5381/jot.2010.9.3.a4.
- "Automatic Transformation from Graphical Process Models to Executable Code",
in ETH E-Collection,
Digital Object Identifier: 10.3929/ethz-a-006050258.
- REXX/IUCV with Manual
(Size: 110 KB), initially developed for VM/370 on System/370 under
the name RXIUCVFN, still runs and can be downloaded at
together with the official Manual (Size: 100 KB).
- REXX/SOCKETS with Manual
(Size: 130 KB) became part of the operating systems on System z soon
after Arty Ecock and I developed a common version of our initially
- REXX/WAIT with Manual
(Size: 170 KB) did not survive the year 2000 although it had been designed
with four-digit years right from the beginning.
- IBM WebSphere Matchmaking Environment which is described in the presentation
"Dynamic Insurance Product Configuration" PDF-File:
(Size: 266 KB) or original PPT-File:
(Size: 119 KB) has been developed by a team under Simon Field.
I obviously have written more programs in the nearly thirty years
of my professional career, but they either were only available in IBM
or (such as the WSDL import into IBM WebSphere Business Modeler) silently
became part of a product.
See the German list of publications
for the didactical articles which are all written in German.